RFP CALL TO ARTISTS : FORD CITY MURAL(s)
The Ford City Business Improvement Association (BIA) is calling experienced mural artists or teams of artists to submit proposals to create colourful, contemporary, and original artwork on two pre-selected walls in the Ford
City Business Improvement Area. All information about the opportunity is contained herein.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: August 15, 2021
COMPLETION: Between September – December 2021 / Spring 2022
FUNDING: Up to $10,000
ELIGIBILITY: Open to all artists
By creating colourful and contemporary murals on otherwise blank surfaces, we will convey to our community that Ford City is undergoing an exciting transformation and is becoming an increasingly vibrant neighbourhood.
Artists are encouraged to consider the rich socio-cultural context of the Ford City/Drouillard neighbourhood. While historical themes and references are not a requirement, we do want to see that care has been taken to appreciate relate to the unique identity of the area and its community.
This submitted concept proposal should:
• Consider the space; size, shape, and material qualities of the wall, the angles of view, and the audience.
• Enhance and engage the streetscape with a distinctive aesthetic experience both highly visible and welcoming to pedestrians, cyclists, and vehicles travelling along Drouillard Road.
• Provide excitement and interest for the community as a whole.
The competition is open to all established, professional, and emerging artists.
Applicants who wish to be considered for this project should demonstrate artistic skill, style, and originality.
Experience painting site-specific large scale outdoor murals directly on walls will be an asset.
Artists whose work is well represented within the city are eligible to apply, however, the artist selection panel will
consider artistic diversity as one factor in the selection process.
Non-local artists are invited and encouraged to apply, however, they should note that while the BIA may be able to assist in securing low-cost accommodation during the mural’s execution, travel and accommodation expenses will not be covered by the project budget.
LOCATION WALL A: 993 DROUILLARD RD. – masonry / concrete block – approx. 30’h x 80’/40’/50’w
East (Drouillard)-facing wall set back from the street at the courtyard of New Song Church. Extending the design onto adjacent north-facing walls may be considered keeping cost in mind – (i.e. masonry left exposed as a
background, rather than a fully painted surface, may allow for extending mural coverage). This work will be a major investment for the BIA, with an intended lifespan of 20+ years. Subject and quality of materials and
execution should reflect this prerogative.
*Working at Heights Certification is required in Ontario when a worker’s feet are higher than 6 ft above the ground. For more information on Working at Heights standards please visit the Ministry of Labour’s website.
FUNDING: Up to $8,000. Paint coverage and estimated costs should be considered and outlined in the proposal.
TIMELINE: Planning stage between September 2021-early 2022 / Execution in spring of 2022.
LOCATION WALL B: 1029 DROUILLARD RD. – painted vinyl siding – approx. 20’h x 18’w
North-facing, vinyl-sided wall of house. This wall will be painted a dark grey prior to the mural installation. This mural is intended to have a shorter lifespan of 3-5 years. It should be dynamic, fun, and current. A design for this
concept should consider lettering or linework using the dark siding as the background for the design.
FUNDING: Up to $2,000 and Artists are responsible for providing materials required to complete the project.
TIMELINE: Planning stage in the weeks after selection / Execution in fall of 2021.
HOW TO APPLY
Artists interested in this project must prepare and submit the following in the body of an e-mail addressed
Subject: Ford City Murals 2021
1. Name(s) + contact information (phone number, e-mail)
2. Which wall you are submitting a proposal for (you may submit one for each wall)
3. A brief Artist’s Statement describing your work and why you are interested in this opportunity.
4. A brief statement describing your proposed mural concept. How does your proposal align with the desired vision and how will your design will suit the Ford City BIA / Drouillard Road context?
5. A concept drawing, sketch, or collage sufficient to communicate your idea, attached as .pdf or .jpg.
6. Supporting images (3-6) attached in good quality .pdf or .jpg form. These should clearly demonstrate artistic ability, as well as graphic/illustrative style, and any relevant practical experience.
7. Attached current resume/CV and/or links to online portfolio, website, social media, as applicable.
8. Two relevant references – include addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses.
Materials must be submitted by e-mail to the address above by 11:59pm on Sunday, August 15, 2021.
SELECTION PROCESS + CRITERIA
A selection panel consisting of members of the Ford City BIA, Resident’s Committee, and relevant building owners will engage in a one-stage artist selection process to review all artist submissions. Artists will be considered based on the following criteria:
• Artistic excellence, innovation and originality
• Documented potential and relevant experience to complete the project successfully
• A proposal that reflects the project intent as described in this document.
• The Ford City BIA’s commitment to reflecting the diversity and cultural richness of Ford City / Windsor
Once selected, the commissioned artist will work together with the BIA murals committee and relevant building (wall) owners to develop the final design for a site-specific, durable outdoor mural. Artists will not begin installation of the mural until the design is approved, and all required liability and contract forms are completed and submitted to the BIA.
Artists will be notified by e-mail no later than Monday, August 23, 2021.
The selected artist will enter into a contract with the Ford City Business Improvement Association (BIA).
Please note that the Ford City BIA will obtain all rights to the selected artwork and must retain the right to alter or remove the artwork as needed (i.e. if damaged or in need of repair).
The Ford City BIA are not obliged to accept any of the submissions and may reject all submissions. The Committee reserves the right to reissue the RFP as required.
The Commissioned Artist(s) will be required to provide evidence of appropriate liability, property damage, and workers compensation insurance for the duration of installation of the work on site.
If you have any questions or need any additional information, please contact Nicole Baillargeon via e-mail at
firstname.lastname@example.org / Subject: Ford City Murals 2021